CNN Poll gives the debate to Obama
This article from TPM pretty much summed up my feelings but check out the CNN poll numbers…
Okay, we thought that McCain had a slight upper hand tonight (though we also said it wasn’t a game changer, which is basically another way of saying that McCain didn’t do what he had to). But the initial polls suggest that viewers give the nod to Obama in a big way.
Here’s the CNN poll, conducted among debate-watchers:
Regardless of which candidate you happen to support, who do you think did the best job in the debate — Barack Obama or John McCain?
McCain 38%Did _______ do a better or worse job than you expected?
Obama: Better 57%, Worse 20%, Same 23%
McCain: Better 60%, Worse 20%, Same 18%
Next, regardless of which presidential candidate you support, please tell me if you think Barack Obama or John McCain would better handle each of the following issues:
• The war in Iraq: Obama 52%, McCain 47%
• Terrorism: McCain 49%, Obama 45%
• The economy: Obama 58%, McCain 37%
• The current financial crisis: Obama 54%, McCain 36%
Thinking about the following characteristics and qualities, please say whether you think each one better described Barack Obama or John McCain during tonight’s debate:
• Was more intelligent: Obama 55%, McCain 30%
• Expressed his views more clearly: Obama 53%, McCain 36%
• Spent more time attacking his opponent: McCain 60%, Obama 23%
• Was more sincere and authentic: Obama 46%, McCain 38%
• Seemed to be the stronger leader: Obama 49%, McCain 43%
• Was more likeable: Obama 61%, McCain 26%
• Was more in touch with the needs and problems of people like you: Obama 62%, McCain 32%
Based on what _______ said and did in tonight’s debate, do you think he would be able to handle the job of president if he is elected?